Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies (when you're out of brown sugar!)



Today I promised Breck that we would make cookies. (ok, it was more a promise to myself, since he only eats the dough!) As we were getting our ingredients out, I realized we were out of brown sugar. So, I figured the "all-knowing" internet would be able to give me a substitution. Sure enough, it did! (1 cup white sugar plus 1 1/2 Tbsp molasses = 1 cup brown sugar) but, I don't keep molasses on hand! In fact, I've never used it. So, I looked up substitutions for molasses. (honey, dark corn syrup, or pure maple syrup) but, I don't keep any of those on hand, either. However, I do have light corn syrup, so I figured that would be close enough! They turned out fantastic! They taste just like they would had I used brown sugar, but I think they have a nicer, lighter color. So, I may use this recipe from now on!

Here's the ever-so-slightly-altered recipe in case you, too, find yourself out of brown sugar!

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp corn syrup
1 cup softened butter or margarine
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine sugar, corn syrup, butter, vanilla; beat until creamy. Add eggs and beat. Add flour, salt, baking soda and beat until well mixed. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Bake 8 - 10 minutes. Makes apporximately 3 dozen cookies

1 comment:

  1. Good job working on the fly like that! Gotta love the internet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails