Sunday, November 29, 2009

Home Sweet Home

We had a pretty good time with my family in Iowa over Thanksgiving! I think we managed to see everyone, which is often a challenge! We didn't get to my Mom's until late Wednesday night, then Thursday we headed to my Dad's to visit for a couple of hours before they left to spend the day with my Stepmom's side, then we went to my Aunt's on my Dad's side for lunch. My Aunt & Uncle have kids close in age to ours, and I think they all had a good time playing!
(I didn't get a picture of their youngest since he had just woken up and wasn't quite in a photo mood!)



After that, we went to my Grandma's on my Mom's side (are you still with me?!) but we got there later than normal and missed most all my cousins. We stayed for a couple hours and then headed back to my Mom's for the night.


Friday was full of fun!
Breck entertained us with a few songs on the piano,


we went to a Festival of Trees, which was in all honesty pretty lame, but they had an area for kids, so Breck rode the train and made an ornament while Rowan ate popcorn. They had fun, which was the point of going!


and Breck mastered the escalator!


On our way back to Mom's we stopped at a covered bridge!


When we got back to the house it was time to take the horses some treats


and walk the dogs.


Later that night we found out that the nearby town was having a pretty big Christmas festival! So, about 5:30pm we headed to town to see Santa!
(supposedly the photos taken are going to be free through the photographer's site, but nothing is up yet. I'll update with photos when I can.)
Breck had fallen asleep on the way, so my Mom carried him in to where Santa was, hoping he'd wake up before we got there. After a few attempts to wake him up, he finally did. Then he started to throw a fit, wiggled down and at this point, I thought he'd run away (as is typical!), but instead he made a bee-line for Santa, hopped in his lap and was happy as could be! I sat Rowan in Santa's lap but she cried so that was short lived!

The kids each received a candy cane. And as you may have guessed, Breck-the-picky-eater spit his out and told Grandma that it was gross, while Rowan loved hers!


Since we had time to kill until the parade started (yes it was a night parade!) we headed over to the park to drive through the light displays!



The parade was surprisingly really good for a small town! The floats were lit with Christmas lights and some of the people in the parade wore costumes - two grinches, one santa and some elves - and some floats had music playing.
They went around the town square twice and that was all to the parade. Oh, and they threw candy! What's a parade without that?! Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures. It was 7:15pm by the time it started and I was more concerned with keeping Rowan and myself warm!

On the way back, we passed John Wayne's birthplace.



Saturday morning we celebrated Christmas with my Mom's side!


We ate brunch and then left just before noon. The kids slept almost the entire way home, so I think noon will be our new head-for-home time!


I hope you had a great Thanksgiving, too!

2 comments:

  1. We were suppose to be in Iowa this weekend too. for a wedding, but opted out! Too back we could of met! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me tired reading it! Wow that was a whirlwind trip

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails