Thursday, August 27, 2009

Plum Chutney



I had planned on using my remaining plums to make plum jam, but I ran across this plum chutney recipe in my Ball canning cookbook

...I highly recommend it...

and decided it would be perfect to use for the chicken with plum chutney dish I sometimes make...and will probably make more often now that I don't have to make the chutney each and every time!

~~~

Plum Chutney


Ingredients
4 quarts chopped and pitted plums
3 cups brown sugar
2 cups raisins
1 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons mustard seed*
2 teaspoons ginger*
1 teaspoon salt*
3 cups vinegar

*Note: I didn't have these on hand, so I used a pickling season mix.

Directions
Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer until thick. Stir frequently to prevent sticking or burning. Ladle hot chutney into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails