Sunday, March 15, 2009

Homemade Baby Food

Last weekend, while my mom and sister were here, I decided to try making my own baby food. Easy-peasy! Why didn't I do this for Breck?! I made sweet potatoes, carrots and green beans.

I knew if I kept my food steamer long enough I'd find a use for it! (the last time it was used was in college...about 5 years ago...when I made homemade egg rolls!)
I steamed the carrots and green beans and cooked the sweet potatoes in the microwave.




After the foods were cooked, I added some water and pureed them with my immersion blender.




When all was said and done, we ended up with the following:


Carrots
$0.20/tub: 5 carrots = (3) 2nd food sized tubs

Sweet Potatoes
$0.50/tub: 2 sweet potatoes ($1.49 ea.) = (6) 2nd food sized tubs
(although, they were very thick and I should have thinned them out a bit more, which probably would have given me 8 tubs, not to mention sweet potatoes are pretty pricey right now when compared to the $0.33/lb they cost around Thanksgiving time!)

Green Beans
$0.00/tub: approx 2 cups frozen green beans (from our garden last year) = (3) 2nd foods sized tubs and (1/2) of a 1st foods sized tub
(I did need to strain these, as there were quite a few strings left even after pureeing)


I made lasagna for us for dinner one night and then added water and pureed one large piece, so I don't know how much it cost in the end.


I also pureed some turkey we'd frozen from last Thanksgiving with some sweet potatoes, which turned out great! I think from now on I'll just puree whatever we are eating that won't work as finger foods for Rowan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails