Friday, September 12, 2008

Drying Green Beans: A Process

We kind of neglected our green beans recently, so instead of tossing all the way overgrown pods, we decided to dry them and harvest the beans inside! Here's how it went:

Day 1:



Day 2:


Day 4:


Day more than 10:


If I ever decide to dry beans again, I will take the time to string them and hang them up somewhere cool and dry. A combination of rainy days and my forgetting to spread out the beans equaled moldy beans. Last night I finally finished shelling all the beans, whether they were ready or not.

Once the beans are dry, I'll put them in the freezer and later this Fall/Winter we'll use them for ham and bean soup!

3 comments:

  1. I would like to hear how the bean soups taste later in the winter. I really had never thought of drying my own beans, but it's the one crop my black thumb can produce without fail, so I will have to try this next year.

    Do you have to freeze them if they are already dried?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Double-commenting to say that my first comment didn't come out right! I meant that I hope you post about using the beans throughout the winter because I want to read about the results of all your hard work. Didn't mean to imply that they wouldn't taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca - I've read varying information on the storage of dried beans. Some sites say to dry and freeze for long-term storage and others say to store in an air-tight container in a cool, dry place. I think freezing will work best for me, but it's not required.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails